During my amazing stay at Dwarika’s at Nepal before we did our Poon Hill trek, N and I tried some amazing food at the Dwarika’s Resort. At that time I wasn’t vegan, but the food quality was exquisite. Since then, I have come to learn that at Dwarika’s Resort Dhulikhel, Mr. Pramod Mahaseth, the head chef, obtains almost all of the restaurant’s ingredients from their very own two organic farms – one near Dhulikhel and the other in Chitwan. I am glad that while the Dwarika’s Group preaches that food is a very important aspect of the lifestyle at the resort, they live what they preach by sourcing and growing their own organic, fresh Nepali ingredients.
Here is one amazing looking salad recipe from Dwarika’s Resort Dhulikhel, which I believe we can all reproduce at home even if we can’t travel to beautiful Nepal!
- ½ kiwis (thin sliced) and keep rest for kiwi sauce
- 4 strips of shaved Cucumber
- 4 batons of vegan cheese (At Dwarika, they use yak cheese, but since I am vegan, I would change it to vegan cheese :))
- 1 confit of tongella tomato
- 1 tbsp candied beetroot
- 10gm beans sprout
- 10gm red cabbage (thin sliced)
- Green fenugreek (just few leafs)
- Edible flowers (thymes flower, chamomile, oregano flower, mint flower, chives flower and purple basil flower)
Dressing (Pomegranate Vinaigrette):
- 50gm pomegranate
- Pomerry mustard
- Stevia or Coconut Nectar
- Kiwi sauce (for plate garnish)
- Chives (for garnish)
- Squeeze fresh pomegranate with muslin cloth
- Whisk with half tea spoon of pomerry mustard, chopped garlic, chopped chives and few drop of lemon juice
- Let the flavors infuse for while and strain.
Kiwi Sauce: blend the peeled Kiwi with a table spoon of water and mix with a pinch of stevia/organic coconut nectar and set aside.
Shave the cucumber and roll with tomato confit and cheese baton and set aside.
Plating and Presentation:
In a salad serving plate, round up kiwi sauce and place slice of kiwi round along with pomegranate, top with rolled cucumbers, beans sprout, candied beetroot, red cabbage, green fenugreek and a sprinkling of all edible flowers, finally dress with vinaigrette and garnish with chives.
For our entire Nepal Travel Review series by EatPrayFlying, please refer to:
- Nepal– Kathmandu City Tour
- Nepal – Kathmandu Hotel – Dwarika Hotel
- Nepal – Kathmandu Hotel – Shanker Hotel
- Nepal – Pokhara City Tour
- Nepal – Pokhara Hotel – Templetree Resort & Spa
- Nepal – Pokhara Hotel – Waterfront Resort